Thursday, October 8, 2009

Autumn


The wind swooped through my house like a gust of ghosts yesterday, blowing all of the remnants of summer away with the leaves of my maple tree. There is a crispness to the air which is a harbinger of things to come...October and November are lovely months. The days are shorter and it is cool enough at after dark to warrant  snuggling under a thick down blanket, but with the window cracked to hear the last of the summer- night noise. The mornings can dawn frosty, but the slanting Autumn sunlight will still be  bright and warm as it beams through the thinning treetops. The hay has all been mowed and bailed; the big rolls dot the hillsides, ready to feed  livestock when the meadows turn brown and the grass lies dormant. The horses and cows start growing warm winter coats, no more sleek summer, just  scruffy and shaggy. Wood gets stacked and covered against the frigid days to come, the yard gets tidied and and the gardens cleaned up and buttoned down. Bird's nests are revealed in the shrubbery, acorns drop by the bucket load, black walnuts litter the roadways and the fat squirrels scamper around collecting and burying their food stashes, most of which they will forget about  when winter is here in her bone-chilling glory.Pumpkins, gourds, and corn shocks pop up all over,as  banks of chrysanthemums brighten up the landscape  with the last  bursts of color: yellow and russet and deep burnished red. And me? I pull my winter clothes down from the attic and swap out my drawers...I dig up the crock pot so it is ready for savory soups and stews.I wash blankets and hang them out on the line, readying them for  when extra comfort is needed as the drafts of cold air slip through the cracks....I wish I never had to leave my cozy home with the fruits of our stacking warming us again, glowing and crackling through the window of the stove.  I get drowsy and lazy and I dream about hibernation...if only...

1 comment:

janet said...

I loved these October images in words, plus pictures...ghosts and gusts, scruffy horses, cows, wood piles, savory soups, burnished reds. The wistful if only... says more, says bucket loads.