Saturday, May 15, 2010

Posted

This situation has had such an adverse effect on my life. There has been continued hostility : my woodpile moved, trespassing on my property, 8 bright yellow no trespassing signs on the trees facing my house, a makeshift fence of yellow rope and broken broomsticks and ski poles cordoning off the contested corner..... all of this done while we were at work, my poor dogs, no doubt going crazy in the house while these people were in my yard
.I have called the state police again, have experienced anger and fear of such  intensity it has made me physically ill. I had to spend last night home alone without Greg and the dogs and I was so fearful...I did relax after a while, but the threatening cloud  that hung over me left me uneasy and exhausted.
It is so awful to have this feeling in my cozy home, to feel unsafe. I am leaving this afternoon for a trip to the Cape for a few days and for the first time ever, I am not feeling a pang of regret leaving my home. I do not want to be here, but I am afraid of what I will find when I return. I have good friends that will watch the house for me and my car will be in the driveway, but still.

Dealing with chronic depression and anxiety disorder is hard enough on a daily basis, and this whole mess has really thrown me into a bad place. I have been feeling that downward spiral approaching, that black place hovering... I am trying to put it aside, I am trying to create some positivity inside and outside my home ...and head.......I smudged my whole property, walking the perimeter and through the garden paths, meditating on serenity and peace, I did the same inside. Now I am burning sweet grass, windows flung open to the beautiful clean air, cleaning, dusting and vacuuming, washing away all of this negativity and trying to concentrate on a positive outcome .  A letter is being sent to them suggesting a compromise solution and I am trying to be hopeful that they will see the sense in stopping this harassment, and moving towards mediation.

Life is very short, with so little time to waste on hostility and hatred. I do not want to poison myself with these emotions. So I won't. There is too much of it in the world already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peg
I have to tell you that I am outraged by this individual and I don't even know him. I do believe that people like that do not win in the end. They may have their say here on earth but a greater power will have the final say. I don't like signs and I hate fences that are meant to be mean spirited. Of course there is a happy option. I had new neighbors move in and twice their dog jumped my 3 foot fence and attacked my dog. He was so young the first time and I wanted my baby to shake it off. The second time was too much for me or my baby to bear. The neighbor installed an 8 foot wooden fence. When I first looked at my yard I felt almost imprisoned by the fence. I had to do something. So I decorated my side. Metal art, painting trees on the high part of the fence and tiny lights on MY low fence to make it my own. I know picket fences are somewhat of a symbol. You know, the perfect house with the white picket fence. Why not dress up your side. Since he has made you aware of where your property ends, in a very mean spirited way I might add, why not cover up his ugliness with beauty that you create. It's worth some thought and I am sure you can even have a "picket fence party" with some friends and neighbors. Make it a happening and fun. Wouldn't that be something to think about.
You are in my prayers. Peace and Love, Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi Peg
I have to tell you that I am outraged by this individual and I don't even know him. I do believe that people like that do not win in the end. They may have their say here on earth but a greater power will have the final say. I don't like signs and I hate fences that are meant to be mean spirited. Of course there is a happy option. I had new neighbors move in and twice their dog jumped my 3 foot fence and attacked my dog. He was so young the first time and I wanted my baby to shake it off. The second time was too much for me or my baby to bear. The neighbor installed an 8 foot wooden fence. When I first looked at my yard I felt almost imprisoned by the fence. I had to do something. So I decorated my side. Metal art, painting trees on the high part of the fence and tiny lights on MY low fence to make it my own. I know picket fences are somewhat of a symbol. You know, the perfect house with the white picket fence. Why not dress up your side. Since he has made you aware of where your property ends, in a very mean spirited way I might add, why not cover up his ugliness with beauty that you create. It's worth some thought and I am sure you can even have a "picket fence party" with some friends and neighbors. Make it a happening and fun. Wouldn't that be something to think about.
You are in my prayers. Peace and Love, Marie

peg said...

Thanks Marie,
I appreciate your suggestion, I had already been looking forward to planting a climbing hydrangea and lots of clematis and flowers.....we are in the process of trying to calm this situation with these crazy people ( of course through lawyers), and I am hopeful that things will work out. Meanwhile I am trying very hard not to be fearful when I am home alone. Lucky for me I have great neighbors and friends who have been very supportive, and are keeping an eye on things when I am not home. They all saw what was going on and I fielded a lot of phone calls from my neighbors over what the heck was going on. Where I live is very rural and wooded I can not see any of my neighbors homes. But everyone now knows what has happened, and the people who started this mess are not particularly popular with anyone anymore. I do not think they care, actually, but I feel better knowing that I have so much support.
Thanks again for your kind words , Marie.
peg

janet said...

Hi Peg,
I hope the getaway was enjoyable, as I hope things have calmed down in your neighborhood by now. Sorry I was away when you were on-Cape. We have so many fences around here, to the point that Gov. Prence Road is sometimes called Gov. Fence Road, but sometimes they're nice, sheltering.
Thinking of you here.
Take care,
Janet