Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bliss

There is a chilly wind out of the west today but the sky is clear and the sun is shining. I am finding that my runs are becoming a spiritual time for me, a time of reflection and contemplation. 
 This morning it felt that the wind blew away the angst of these past few days, the sadness and anxiety of loss, the angry sorrow that has filled my heart. I felt lighter somehow, like the Red Tail Hawk I saw soaring in the gusty winds at the top of the ridge. I watched him dipping and gliding over the cedars as I ran past an open field. I felt his freedom. I felt gratitude, and I put my hands together and I thanked the universe: for my good health and that of my friends and family, for my home and my place on this planet, and I wished for peace for all people. I thought of those without homes, without love, without health, without peace and my feeling of gratitude deepened. I said a silent thank you again. My hands fell back to my waist as I ran and I felt my skin prickle up in goosebumps, but not from a chill. It was more of an answer, it felt like an acknowledgement of my prayer, that I had been heard and noted. I continued to run up the hill, but with a lighter step, the warmth of the sun on my shoulders, a heavy weight lifted.

When I got home, I sat in the warmth of the sun streaming through my window, and closed my eyes to soak it in. I rested my head on the back of the sofa and  I felt what could only be called bliss, a feeling that has been most uncommon in recent days. I welcomed it with an open heart and a smile, a blissful smile.

No comments: